Saddle maintenance and check (Instructions)
Saddle maintenance and check
Maintenance and checks
Any small imperfections in your SMP saddle are the best guarantee that it is a product finished by hand with great care. Surface alterations or colour loss, even with limited use, should be considered natural due to use and exposure to the elements. Particular types of sweat and anti-irritant creams could ruin the lining.
- Clean using a damp chamois cloth or products recommended by Selle SMP.
- Do not use detergents or pressurised water jets.
- Particular kinds of sweat, combined with the use of creams, can migrate from the bottom of the shorts to the saddle. This phenomenon can damage the lining of the saddle and negatively affect the adhesive present between the lining and padding, as well as the padding and body of the saddle.It is therefore recommended to not excessively use body creams.
- The use of specific shorts for MTB, All Mountain and Downhill, manufactured with abrasive materials (eg. Cordura), can result in abnormal wear of the saddle cover.
- To improve resistance to rubbing, prolong the life and protect the lining of your saddle while promoting cleanliness, we recommend the periodic use of SMP Saddle Leather Wipes.
Failure to follow these instructions could damage saddle lining.
- Periodically check that the pillar lock has not “loosened”, tighten it when necessary;
- Periodically check that there is no movement/play between the “fork” (metal frame) and the “body” (plastic frame). If there is movement do not use the saddle and consult your local Selle SMP dealer;
- If the saddle makes noise, try to eliminate it by carefully cleaning and lubricating the couplings with the pillar;
- Check that there are no obvious signs of damage on the saddle. If so, do not use it;
- Check that the carbon parts are not broken. If so, do not use (slight signs of wear or bubbles on the external transparent paint do not compromise product safety or functions).
LIMITATIONS OF USE
SMP saddles are the most technically and clinically advanced saddles available on the market.
However, tampering with or improperly using any type of saddle is not advisable since this could cause damage, even after short use.
Given the type of product, its working life is mainly determined by the conditions of use.
Kilometres covered, roads, atmospheric and climate conditions, the user’s physical and bio-dynamic characteristics are the main factors that determine longer or shorter service life. Regardless of its state of wear and tear, we recommend you replace the product after 15,000/20,000 km of use.
Regardless of the intensity of use, the saddle must be replaced whenever certain or suspected damage is discovered.